The LifeSkills Program is currently designed to be up to 12 months in duration, admitting those men who desire to be set free from dependence on alcohol and/or drug use and the lifestyle and problems that go with it.
“If the Son makes you free; you will be free indeed.” -John 8:36
The LifeSkills Program is a pathway to the restoration of healthy relationships and employability. The Program also encourages a genuine relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.
The program incorporates into its presentation the 12 Steps of AA and NA, adhering to the belief that a genuinely ‘Higher Power’ must be invited into the life that would experience freedom from controlling substances. In the case of our particular program, the Higher Power referred to is the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
“Nor is their salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” – Acts 4:12
The LifeSkills Program provides the following:
- Meals – Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner to our LifeSkills men. We also have special snack nights and other events.
- Shelter – Each LifeSkills Program man is provided with a bed and a locker for their personal items. They are also provided with a laundry and workout area as well as access to the television room and recreational facilities.
- Clothing – Anchorage Gospel Rescue Mission’s clothing room is open to the LifeSkills Program men each week on Wednesday.
- Classroom – The LifeSkills men are required to attend specific classes with Pastor John LaMantia and Larry Aldrich each week. Other classes offered are computer skills, creative beginnings art class, money management and hygiene. For our Native men drum making and other classes are offered through Southcentral Foundation.
- Activities – Art and music field trips as well as Botanical Garden tours, sport events, community service opportunities, movie and snack nights and potlucks are offered.
- Graduation Day – A graduation celebration is hosted for men graduating from our LifeSkills Program. Family and friends are often present to celebrate with coffee, cake and pictures.
- The Men’s LifeSkills program is a 12-month, live-in program open to those seeking to break the cycle of addiction.
- This program involves healthy living, counseling, classwork, Bible study, community service, and a work phase. Opportunities to receive financial counseling are provided.
- Those needing their GED are encouraged to enroll with Nine Star.
- We encourage those who are delinquent with child support or have credit issues to resolve those.
- There is the ability to earn while in the program, open a bank account and save towards housing.
- Those needing to medically detox must do so prior to entering the program.
- This program is provided free of charge.
A completed application is required. This will be reviewed by our team and a determination made.
Men’s LifeSkills Program Application
You may use this form to submit your application.